4-Weeks Pottery Wheel Throwing (Mornings or Evenings)
If you would like an immersive pottery throwdown experience where you learn to make your own pottery, once a week over a 4 week timeframe, then this may be just what you are looking for!
Where and What Time: This workshop runs in our light-filled Arran Street East School of Pottery in the heart of the Dublin Fruit and Vegetable Markets area. Eircode: D07 K744
On this course, in a small class guided by our expert potter, you will work on your individual pottery wheel to shape clay, learning throwing, centering, and pulling techniques and by the end of the course you will choose your two favourite pieces which we will then glaze for you.
Please make sure you are available for all dates before booking as they are not interchangeable!
You will develop skills to throw pots on a pottery wheel, including:
- Handling your clay
- Your pottery tools
- Centering and pulling a pot on your wheel
- Shaping techniques
- Taking your pot off your wheel
- Taking care of your wheel station
Demonstrations by one of our excellent teachers of how to throw clay on a wheel, and tutoring you on your own wheel as you learn.
Practice on your own wheel with clay and your own wareboard. We will provide you with a wareboard, poly sheet, and a name label for your wareboard at the beginning of each course. This is to identify and wrap your work and keep it from drying out too quickly. Please take good care of your board, and respect your poly sheet, as you will need it for the duration of the course.
- At the end of your course we will ask you to select your favourite 2 pieces that you made throughout the 4 weeks, and we will fire and glaze 2 pieces for you, and contact you when they are ready for collection - usually between 8-10 weeks after the class.
- If you would like to glaze your own pots you might like to book into one of our 2-hour Glazing Workshops and learn the basics of glazing techniques. In that case we will keep two additional pots from your course for you to glaze. If possible, please book your glazing course at the time of booking your pottery course, allowing an interval of 3 weeks between the courses.
FAQS (Please read before booking)
What should I wear/bring?
Your clothes and shoes will get wet and dirty from clay splashes so please wear comfortable clothes that you do not mind getting messy. Please bring your own apron and a hand towel.
For workshops/courses that do not include us glazing your piece for you, you may take some of your pots to air-dry at home if you wish, so please bring small boxes (like Tupperware or cardboard) to bring your creations home with you. Please note these pieces will be decorative only, and not be suitable for holding water or food.
Is there an age limit for the Workshop/Course?
In general, (excluding our family-friendly workshops) our workshops/courses are for people aged 18 and above. A teenager who is very interested in the crafting process may attend if they are accompanied by an adult guardian. Please let us know in advance.
Is my booking transferrable and what is the cancellation policy?
Please check our cancellation policy.
Are there any Health and Safety issues?
Please note you will be working on a pottery wheel in a bent position which might put some strain on your neck or back or wrists. Please first consult your doctor if you have had back, neck, wrist or any other injuries.
Please keep your hair tied up and your nails short.
Where can I contact you with any questions?
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Unfortunately, no refunds are given. Please make sure that you, or the person you are giving the workshop to as a gift, can attend the workshop.
- If you cannot attend the workshop yourself we can reschedule your workshop if you inform us up to 3 weeks before the workshop's start date. If you request to reschedule less than 3 weeks before the workshop starting date we will not be in a position to change the date.
- You can give the workshop to someone else if you cannot attend yourself. Please email us as soon as you can before the course with the name and contact details of the person attending email@example.com