Creative Handbuilding Workshop (2 hours)
Coil, slab, pinch, build and sculpt – there is so much you can do with clay!
This workshop is a great introduction to working with clay using handbuilding techniques, and you will be amazed at the skills you can learn, and what you can make during this half-day class.
Where and What Time: This workshop runs for 2 hours in our lovely Arran Street East studio at 1 Little Green Street, Dublin 7, in the heart of the Dublin Fruit and Vegetable Markets area. Eircode: D07 K744.
Time: Sundays 2.30-4.30pm
Before ceramicists invented the pottery wheel, handbuilding was the only way they could create functional and artistic ceramic forms. The oldest known ceramic artifact was handbuilt and is dated as early as 28,000 BC.
Handbuilding is a pottery technique that allows you to create forms with clay, without using a throwing wheel. All you need to get started is clay, tools, your hands and creative enthusiasm. We’ll supply the clay and tools, and our expert teacher to guide and teach you - and you bring your hands and creative enthusiasm!
You will learn how to make a pot or vessel through a variety of hand building techniques including:
- handling your clay
- your pottery tools
- coiling, slabbing, pinching, building, or sculpting methods
- shaping your piece
- taking care of your work station
FAQS (Please read before booking)
What should I wear/bring?
Your clothes and shoes will get wet and dirty from clay splashes so please wear comfortable clothes that you do not mind getting messy. Please bring your own apron and a hand towel.
For workshops/courses that do not include us glazing your piece for you, you may take some of your pots to air-dry at home if you wish, so please bring small boxes (like Tupperware or cardboard) to bring your creations home with you. Please note these pieces will be decorative only, and not be suitable for holding water or food.
Is there an age limit for the Workshop/Course?
In general, (excluding our family-friendly workshops) our workshops/courses are for people aged 18 and above. A teenager who is very interested in the crafting process may attend if they are accompanied by an adult guardian. Please let us know in advance.
Is my booking transferrable and what is the cancellation policy?
Please check our cancellation policy.
Are there any Health and Safety issues?
Please note you will be working on a pottery wheel in a bent position which might put some strain on your neck or back or wrists. Please first consult your doctor if you have had back, neck, wrist or any other injuries.
Please keep your hair tied up and your nails short.
Where can I contact you with any questions?
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Unfortunately, no refunds are given. Please make sure that you, or the person you are giving the workshop to as a gift, can attend the workshop.
- If you cannot attend the workshop yourself we can reschedule your workshop if you inform us up to 3 weeks before the workshop's start date. If you request to reschedule less than 3 weeks before the workshop starting date we will not be in a position to change the date.
- You can give the workshop to someone else if you cannot attend yourself. Please email us as soon as you can before the course with the name and contact details of the person attending email@example.com