7 Week Evening Course Level 2 (Improvers)
This variant is currently sold out
7 Week Throwing Course- Level 2
About the Course
The Level 2 (Improvers) 7-week course has been designed for those who have completed our Level 1 (Beginners) 7-week course, or who have had similar time on the wheel.
Considered a course for advanced beginners, you may work at your own pace to consolidate your knowledge of the craft of throwing on the potting wheel and/or learn additional pottery skills to expand your making scope. This will cover wedging, lids, handles, spouts and clay attachments which are some of the more challenging shapes to be acquired. Please speak to your teacher in the first class if there are specific skills that you would like to focus on during the course and they will try to accommodate you.
Time: 6pm - 8pm
Where: School of Pottery, 1 Little Green Street
Below are the features of this course, (which includes some new goodies):
- Demonstrations by the teacher of new pottery skills, and tutoring you to help you learn them.
- Practice on your own wheel with unlimited clay and your own wareboard. We will provide you with a wareboard, poly?? sheet, and a name label for your wareboard at the beginning of each course. This is to identify and wrap your work and keep it from drying out too quickly. Please take good care of your board, and respect your poly sheet, as you will need it for the duration of the course.
- A behind the scenes tour of our new professional pottery studio on Arran Street East to show you where and how a production pottery operates (clay sizing, pug mill, wheel throwing, drying, waxing, glazing and kiln firing).
- Selection of 3 of your favourite pieces for the final workshop session when you will glaze your own pieces in preparation for us firing them for you. We will be in touch when they are ready for collection a few weeks after the class.
- You may also take home with you whatever unfired pieces you have on your wareboard on the last day of your course, to dry (and potentially decorate) yourself. Please bring your own wrapping (tissue paper etc. to transport them safely). Please note that unfired pieces are decorative and cannot hold water!
- We will also provide you with a link to our online video on handbuilding with clay, which you can do at home should you wish – you can recycle the clay from your unfired pieces again and again. Content description here. (Tools and clay available to purchase separately if you need them, here).
In line with Government's easing of restrictions here are updated safety measures for workshop attendees. Please read our Workshops Covid Measures here. Please get in touch if you have any questions.
Do I need a proof of full Covid-19 Vaccination?
In line with Government's easing of restrictions announced in January, you do not need a proof of full Covid-19 Vaccination to attend our workshops. However, we strongly encourage you to get your vaccines and boosters. Thank you!
Should I wear a mask?
As per HSE and the government's regulations you will be required to wear a mask during the workshop.
Who is this course for?
This pottery class will suit beginners with some experience looking to build on their skills. It is recommended you take our beginners evening course before taking the Level 2 course.
Please note you will be working on a potters' wheel in a bent position which might put a strain on your neck and back. Throwing on a potter's wheel can put a strain on your wrists, too. Please consult your doctor if you’ve had back, neck, wrist or any other injuries.
To reach the classroom you will have to use stairs and there is no lift in the building.
What should I wear/bring?
Wear comfortable clothes that you do not mind getting messy. Please bring your own apron. Keep your hair tied up and your nails short.
What's the day like?
You will be welcomed by your teacher and brought to our top floor classroom (no lifts available). Each participant will have access to their own potters' wheel / workstation and tools / for the duration of the workshop. Workshop ends with class and equipment clean up - another important part of potter's training!
When will my pots be available for collection?
You will have 1 pot of your own at the end of the course that we will fire and glaze for you. The pot will be ready for collection from our studio within 2 months after the class. We will email you when the pots are ready for collection.
You can also pick a second pot that can be glazed by you at one of our Glazing Workshops.
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
This course is for people aged 16 and above.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
The nearest Luas Red Line stop is 'Four Courts', and many bus routes service Stop 1479 on Ormond Quay, at the junction with Capel Street. You'll also find a Dublin Bikes stand at each of these locations. Due to our City Centre location, on-street parking in the area is limited, but there are large car parks nearby at Jervis Shopping Centre and beside the Fruit and Vegetable Markets.
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Your ticket can be used for the dates above, but you can transfer it into someone else's name - just let us know before they attend.
What is the cancellation policy?
We ask that you stay at home and do not attend our workshops if you are feeling symptomatic or have been advised by your GP to self-isolate.
If you are unable to attend the workshop you can give your place to your friend or family member. Please email us as soon as you can before the course with the name and contact details of the person attending in your place.
We can only reschedule your date if there is a waiting list and we are able to re-sell your spot.
If we are advised by the Government to postpone the workshops we will resume them as soon as it is possible. All workshops will take place when we are allowed to run them again, and no refunds will be given. We will contact all participants as soon as we can with information on how to re-book their dates.
Where can I contact you with any questions?
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.