Make a Mug Course (Weekend 1.5 day)
This class teaches you the preliminary skills to throw pots on a pottery wheel and make and attach handles to create two bespoke Mugs of your own!
Where and What Time: This workshop runs for a day and a half day in our light-filled Arran Street East School of Pottery in the heart of the Dublin Fruit and Vegetable Markets area. Eircode: D07 K744
Time: 10.30-4.30pm on day 1 and 10.30-2.30pm on day 2
On this day-and-a-half workshop, you will work on your individual pottery wheel to shape clay, with demonstrations by our pottery teacher teacher, who will guide you to learn throwing techniques, and make two pieces which we will then glaze for you!
You will develop skills to throw and handle your mugs on a pottery wheel, including:
- Understanding your clay
- Working with your pottery tools
- Centering and pulling a pot on your wheel
- Shaping techniques
- Taking your pot off your wheel
- Creating and shaping and attaching handles
- Taking care of your wheel station
At the end of the class we will ask you to select two of your favourite pieces that you make in the class, and we will fire and glaze them for you, and contact you when they are ready for collection - usually between 8-10 weeks after the class.
Alternatively you may glaze the pieces yourself if you wish to attend a glazing workshop. If possible, please book your glazing course at the time of booking your pottery course, allowing an interval of 3 weeks between the courses.
We really hope you will enjoy your time on the wheel as much as we enjoy teaching it, and hope to see you soon in our School of Pottery!
FAQS (Please read before booking)
What should I wear/bring?
Your clothes and shoes will get wet and dirty from clay splashes so please wear comfortable clothes that you do not mind getting messy. Please bring your own apron and a hand towel.
For workshops/courses that do not include us glazing your piece for you, you may take some of your pots to air-dry at home if you wish, so please bring small boxes (like Tupperware or cardboard) to bring your creations home with you. Please note these pieces will be decorative only, and not be suitable for holding water or food.
Is there an age limit for the Workshop/Course?
In general, (excluding our family-friendly workshops) our workshops/courses are for people aged 18 and above. A teenager who is very interested in the crafting process may attend if they are accompanied by an adult guardian. Please let us know in advance.
Is my booking transferrable and what is the cancellation policy?
Please check our cancellation policy.
Are there any Health and Safety issues?
Please note you will be working on a pottery wheel in a bent position which might put some strain on your neck or back or wrists. Please first consult your doctor if you have had back, neck, wrist or any other injuries.
Please keep your hair tied up and your nails short.
Where can I contact you with any questions?
You can email us at email@example.com
- Unfortunately, no refunds are given. Please make sure that you, or the person you are giving the workshop to as a gift, can attend the workshop.
- If you cannot attend the workshop yourself we can reschedule your workshop if you inform us up to 3 weeks before the workshop's start date. If you request to reschedule less than 3 weeks before the workshop starting date we will not be in a position to change the date.
- You can give the workshop to someone else if you cannot attend yourself. Please email us as soon as you can before the course with the name and contact details of the person attending firstname.lastname@example.org